Monday, March 3, 2014

Postshow Recap

Based off my pageviews, can you tell when Oscar Season is?

So how'd I do? Five times I both liked and correctly picked the winner. Another four times I agreed with the academy voters but predicted incorrectly while eight times I predicted correctly while disagreeing.

5 categories should/will/did matched up
9 categories should/did matched up
13 categories will/did matched up
24 categories total

You can see the full should/will/did at the bottom of this post.

Last time I actually published my thoughts, I only published should/did and went 3/11. I guess I've gotten in the academy's head better now. I'm not positive that's a good thing, but maybe it at least means I'm less ignorant. There were a few categories I saw the writing on the wall and for some reason didn't believe it. actor, actress, documentary, short film live action. For the acting awards, I just kept hearing their names, and in the case of McConaughey, I think he really benefited from his work on True Detective. Blanchet clearly wasn't going to lose with that dress, either. Duh. As for the other two, I should've listened to my gut and gone with the sappy stories instead of the important ones. Of course the important stories didn't win. War documentaries make us feel bad.

All that said, the goal was to watch good film and understand it better. Forty-three films later, thirty-eight of which were since January 10th, and fifteen short films, I'd say I accomplished it. What didn't I see?
Alone Yet Not Alone which was up for original song but had its nomination rescinded
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom also up for original song. I started it but haven't had time to finish yet
The Missing Picture which was up for foreign feature.

Not counting my time on Mandela and counting the short films at a total of eight hours (live action/animation and documentary were both about four each), I come to a total of 95 hours 29 minutes 11 seconds watched on film for this project.

This is the part where I get to make a thank you speech. So thank you to my mom for carting my butt around to a bunch of films I could only see in the theater, for my family/friends/partners/dates/metamours for putting up with me always answering "what do you want to do tonight?" with "well... I have some films I should watch" and my second mom for taking me in on Oscar night and providing me with the requisite tiara.

Now, to spend a night not in front of a screen. I'll sleep well. I'm not even going to proofread this.



Actor in a leading role:
  • should: Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years a Slave
  • will: Bruce Dern in Nebraska
  • did: Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
Actor in a supporting role:
  • should: Michael Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave
  • will: Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club
  • did: Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club
Actress in a leading role:
  • should: Cate Blanchet in Blue Jasmine
  • will: Meryl Streep in August: Osage County
  • did: Cate Blanchet in Blue Jasmine
Actress in a supporting role:
  • should: Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle
  • will: Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave
  • did: Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave
Animated feature film:
  • should: Ernest et Célestine
  • will: Frozen
  • did: Frozen
Cinematography:
  • should: Philippe Le Sourd for Yi dai zong shi
  • will: Phedon Papamichael for Nebraska
  • did: Emmanuel Lubezki for Gravity
Costume design:
  • should: Michael O’Connor for The Invisible Woman
  • will: Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby
  • did: Catherine Martin for The Great Gatsby
Directing:
  • should: Alfonso Cuarón for Gravity
  • will: Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave
  • did: Alfonso Cuarón for Gravity
Documentary feature:
  • should: The Act of Killing
  • will: The Act of Killing
  • did: 20 Feet from Stardom
Documentary short subject:
  • should: CaveDigger
  • will:  The Lady in No. 6: Music Saved My Life*
  • did: The Lady in No. 6: Music Saved My Life
Film editing:
  • should: Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger for Gravity
  • will: Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger for Gravity
  • did: Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger for Gravity
Foreign language film:
  • should: The Broken Circle Breakdown
  • will: La grande bellezza (The Great Beauty)
  • did: La grande bellezza (The Great Beauty)
Makeup and hairstyling:
  • should: Joel Harlow and Gloria Pasqua-Casny for The Lone Ranger
  • will: Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews for Dallas Buyers Club**
  • did: Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews for Dallas Buyers Club
Music (original score):
  • should: Steven Price for Gravity
  • will: Thomas Newman for Saving Mr. Banks
  • did: Steven Price for Gravity
Music (original song):
  • should: "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; lyric by Paul Hewson
  • will: "Let It Go" from Frozen; music and lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
  • did: "Let It Go" from Frozen; music and lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
Best picture:
  • should: 12 Years a Slave
  • will: 12 Years a Slave
  • did: 12 Years a Slave
Production design:
  • should: The Great Gatsby production design: Catherine Martin; set decoration: Beverley Dunn
  • will: The Great Gatsby production design: Catherine Martin; set decoration: Beverley Dunn
  • did: The Great Gatsby production design: Catherine Martin; set decoration: Beverley Dunn
Short film (animated):
  • should: Tsukumo (Possessions)
  • will: Get a Horse!***
  • did: Mr. Hublot
Short film (live action):
  • should: Avant Que de Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)
  • will: Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)
  • did: Helium
Sound editing:
  • should: Glenn Freemantle for Gravity
  • will: Glenn Freemantle for Gravity
  • did: Glenn Freemantle for Gravity
Sound mixing:
  • should: Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro for Gravity
  • will: Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro for Gravity
  • did: Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro for Gravity
Visual effects:
  • should: Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould for Star Trek Into Darkness
  • will: Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton for Star Trek Into Darkness
  • did: Tim Webber, Christ Lawrence, David SHirk, Neil Corbould for Gravity
Writing (adapted screenplay):
  • should: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke for Before Midnight
  • will: Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke for Before Midnight
  • did: John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave
Writing (original screenplay):
  • should: Spike Jonze for Her
  • will: Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell for American Hustle
  • did: Spike Jonze for Her

No comments:

Post a Comment