Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Oscar Quest 2017



Like every year, I swear to myself I am going to watch more film and be better prepared than the last year, but come nominee announcement time, I've only ever watched a few. To be fair, I spent my time in film in December catching up on Academy Award nominated films that I never got around to in 2013 and 2014. Mostly they've been documentaries, and that's my most viewed category (at all of two) headed into this year. There are forty-seven films, and I have thirty-two days with a seven film head start. I am going to be out of country during almost this entire project, though, so that presents a two-fold challenge. Firstly, I will likely be able to access far fewer films. Secondly, I don't want to spend a vacation to Mexico inside a theater. I am almost certainly going to cut the original song category which, unfortunately, only saves me two films this year. Expect this year to be less formidable than my past couple of years, but hopefully, I can still get through a fair amount and have fun with it. Primarily, though, I'm on vacation, so we'll see.




Unwatched:
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
20th Century Women
Allied
Arrival
Captain Fantastic
Deepwater Horizon
Doctor Strange
Elle
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Florence Foter Jenkins
Hacksaw Ridge
Hail, Caesar!
Hell or High Water
Hidden Figures
I Am Not Your Negro
Jackie
The James Foley Story
Kubo and the Two Strings
La La Land
Land of Mine
Life, Animated
Lion
Loving
A Man Called Ove
Manchester by the Sea
Moana
Moonlight
My Life as a Zucchini
Nocturnal Animals
OJ: Made in America
Passengers
The Red Turtle
The Salesman
Silence
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad
Sully
Tanna
Toni Erdmann
Trolls

Not Watching:
Animated Shorts
Documentary Shorts
Live Action Shorts



Watched:
13th (2017-01-18)Fences (2017-01-23)
Fire at Sea (2017-01-21)
The Jungle Book (2016-05-15)
The Lobster (2016-03-26)Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016-12-26)
Zootopia

1 comment:

  1. Claire aka StinkbuttJanuary 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM

    Hi hi hi! I was hoping you would be doing your annual Oscar quest this year, and with the noms being announced earlier today, I thought I'd poke my head over here to see if you had made a post. What a nice treat :) However, I demand that you enjoy your time in Mexico to the very fullest, because, duh, Mexico with lovely company > movies you can watch when you return. I owe you a major phone call and a major thank you for the absolutely fantastic and thoughtful gifts for the little bean. It sounds like you haven't left yet, so I will try my absolute best to call you in the early afternoon tomorrow after work so we can chat, and maybe depending on timelines, get together for a quick bite before your departure? Anyway, I am looking forward to reading your thoughts about the films this year! Love you and miss you dearly...by the time you get back you will be an auntie! He can't wait to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete